Thursday, January 17, 2013

Roasted Golden Beets & Swiss Chard with Brussel Sprouts

There are two camps when it comes to Brussels sprouts, the lovers and the haters. I find myself posted up in the lovers camp for sure. I love Brussels, so when I found these little gems at farmers' market on Saturday, I knew I had to have them.  This evening, I stood and looked in my fridge trying to contemplate what I was going to do with them. I ended up LOVING what I came up with. The beets were sweet, Brussels tender and Swiss chard perfect! This is definitely a dish you have to try.

3 large golden beets
1 pint of Brussels sprouts 
10 leaves of Swiss chard
1/4 cup almonds, chopped
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 1/2 cups qunioa
3 cups vegetable stock
1 teaspoon agave
salt and pepper
3 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried minced onions







Directions
  • Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. 
  • Wash, scrub and peel your beets and chop them into small cubes. Try to make them as uniform as possible and put them in a bowl.
  • Mix beets with 1/2 tablespoon oil, salt and pepper, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, minced onions and agave. Mix up so all the beets are covered in the oil mix. 
  • Prepare your Brussels. Wash and remove stem and a few of the outer leaves. Chop in 1/2
  • Now put your beets on a cookie sheet with sides, lined with aluminum and put in the 425 oven and cook for about 45 minutes. The beets will be soft all the way through and begin to brown on the edges when they are done. 
  • I was able to do my quinoa and Brussels at the same time in my cooker. Put 1 1/2 cups qunioa and 3 cups of vegetable stock in a rice cooker. In the steamer attachment, put your Brussels sprouts. Season Brussels with salt and pepper and 1 teaspoon garlic powder. 
  • Cook until the qunioa is done, the Brussels will also be done, set aside.
  • Now spray a pan lightly with cooking spray and then toast your chopped almonds for 3-5 minutes. 
  • Remove from the pan and set aside. 
  • Add 1 tablespoon coconut oil to the pan and add chopped Swiss chard. 
  • Let Swiss chard cook about 5 minutes, season with salt and pepper and 1 teaspoon garlic powder. 
  • Add almonds and cook another 2 minutes. 
  • Add steamed Brussels to Swiss chard and mix. 
  • Serve it all over your quinoa!

No comments:

Post a Comment