Monday, January 21, 2013

Get Better Soup

Stephen was super sick this weekend and asked for me to make him some chicken soup. I had every intention of not eating it, but it smelled SO dang good, I had to :) I think it was worth it though. We are at day 20 of the cleanse and it was still gluten & sugar free. Chicken soup just isn't the same without the chicken! I added a bunch of veggies to make it extra yummy and good for you. I watched my mom for years make this recipe and it was one of my favorites she made. I just added a couple little twists to make it mine. This is a must make soup for someone that isn't feeling very well, thanks mom :)

1 whole chicken, washed and innards removed
large pot of water
2-3 onions, chopped
5 cloves garlic, sliced
1 tablespoon Natures Seasoning
4 carrots, sliced
3 stalks celery, sliced
3 red potatoes, diced
2 large leaves kale, chopped
2 baby bok choy, chopped
1 cup split red lentils (my mom always does barley but I was out & got creative)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
2 teaspoons oregano or parsley


Directions
  • Put washed chicken in a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Let it cook about 40 minutes. Sometimes there will be a foam that forms over the water, skim that off. 
  • Add seasonings, onions and red lentils and let cook about 2 hours until chicken is cooked and stock is ready
  • Remove chicken and separate the meat from the bones and add the chicken meat back into the broth
  • Add the rest of the ingredients and let cook until vegetables are soft but still have a bite to them. 
  • Sample the broth and see if it needs more seasonings
  • Enjoy!! You can serve it with some noodles if desired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment