Monday, January 30, 2012

Pantry Chili

Tonight was one of those nights that I got home late from yoga, didn't really have any time to make a big dinner but I wanted something hearty and comforting. I decided to throw together some chili with ingredients I already had in my pantry.

1 lb ground turkey
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can diced tomatoes (mine had garlic in them)
1 can corn, drained
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 an onion, diced
1 tablespoon oregano
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons pepper
2 teaspoons cumin
1 medium size can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon pepper flakes
1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper (optional if you are scared of a little heat!)
2-3 chilies (I had some chilies, no idea what they were called from Farmers Market, see pic below)
3 tablespoons chili powder

Directions: 
  • In a large pot add the ground turkey and cook until it is done. 
  • When the meat is done, add the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. 
  • Cook for about 15 minutes and then serve!
  • If I have all the ingredients, I always like to top it with a little cheese, sour cream, green onions, and cilantro- Yum!!
  • Also- tonight for the first time I served my chili up with some slightly pan fried tortillas, it was delicious. I always make corn bread but didn't have any so this was an awesome substitution.

No comments:

Post a Comment