Monday, January 30, 2012

Amazing Turkey Meatloaf

Poor meatloaf. I think it gets a bad rap sometimes, people think of meatloaf as a hard, tasteless brick, but it doesn't have to be that way. I have been making my meatloaf with ground turkey for years. It is a nice alternative to beef because it is lower in calories and fat, and really takes on the flavors that you add to it. I think the tricks to making a moist and delicious meatloaf is adding enough liquid to the mix, not over mixing the meatloaf and not overcooking it. You must try this recipe, I have to admit, I think its pretty amazing. Meatloaf is definitely one of my top comfort foods. I usually just eyeball my meatloaf recipe, but I measured everything this time so I could share it :)  Next time I make this recipe, I am going to try it in the crock pot, I have heard it is possible and what better way to get a meal on the table than a crock pot!?

2 lbs ground turkey
1/2 cup fresh shredded Parmesan (I have used Kraft's grated before, use 1/4 cup)
1/2 cup onion, chopped very small
5 cloves garlic, minced
3 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
3 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 egg
3 tablespoons Worcestershire
2 tablespoons milk
ketchup or tomato sauce


As you can kind of see, I only did Ketchup
to 1/2 the loaf- Stephen prefers to put it
on after its cooked.
Finished product on the plate! Complete
with mashed cauliflower and potatoes
and sauteed Parmesan Swiss Chard!

Directions:
  •  Add all the ingredients, except the turkey and ketchup (or tomato sauce) into a large bowl and mix all together.
  • Add the ground turkey meat and using the best tools you have in the kitchen (your hands) mix the seasoning/liquid mix with the turkey meat, careful, as soon as it looks all incorporated, stop. You don't want to over mix.
  • If you have time (this isn't a crucial step) put it in the fridge for 30 minutes to let the seasonings all meld together.
  • Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray and put the meatloaf mix into the pan. Shape into a loaf. Cover with aluminum foil. 
  • Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 45 minutes. Open the oven and spread a thin layer of ketchup over the top of the meatloaf. Keep the aluminum foil off and return the meatloaf to oven.
  • When the meat is cooked, it will be slightly firm to the touch (about 15-20 more minutes) or be about 155 degrees when tested with a meat thermometer.
  • Slice up and serve! I usually serve it with some homemade mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes and a veggie.


No comments:

Post a Comment