Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Split Pea Soup

My friend gave me her grandmothers recipe for Split Pea soup, it is SO delicious. I forgot one of the ingredients and added a couple new ones of my own, I will definitely be making this recipe for years to come! To see the original recipe on Lauren's blog, click here. I have listed the recipe below, but it incorporates some of my changes. Warning, this recipe makes a bunch! I am going to freeze some left overs and see how it does.  I served this soup up with some toasted jalapeno asiago cheese focaccia bread! Just drizzled with olive oil and broiled in the oven for about 5 minutes.

2 pounds dried split peas
1/2 bag baby spinach
3 large carrots
1 bunch green onions
4 red potatoes
1 yellow onion
1 pound asparagus
1 large ham bone
2 zucchinis
18 cups of water
1 pound of bacon
salt and pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder






Directions:
  • Wash all the veggies and chop into large chunks
  • Put all the vegetables through a food processor until they are the size of very large confetti
  • Place all the veggies, water, peas, ham bone and spices into a large pot
  • Bring to a boil, stir frequently
  • Cut bacon into small pieces and saute until crispy and brown, drain and set aside.
  • Simmer soup for about 2 hours.
  • Add more salt and pepper to taste.
  • Serve in a bowl and garnish with bacon!

No comments:

Post a Comment