Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Sweet Potato (or Yam) Casserole

Happy Thanksgiving!! I am a little late with this post, but had to get this awesome recipe up. Yams/Sweet Potato dishes are pretty much my favorite dish at Thanksgiving. This year, I wanted to make a recipe my friend Amber gave me. She made this at our last Christmas party and it was delicious. I definitely recommend this dish, I made a couple minor changes to quantity so I could serve the crowd I was feeding, but the idea is the same.  I will be making it again for our Christmas Eve dinner with Stephen's family :)

5-6 cups mashed sweet potatoes or yams (I prefer the orange color)
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 eggs
1 stick of butter, cut into small pieces

Topping:
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour (I used AP gluten free)
1/2 cup butter
2 cups pecans, chopped roughly


Directions:
  • Peel and boil sweet potatoes. 
  • Once drained, mash sweet potatoes and add all of the top ingredients and mix until smooth and creamy.
  • Put in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. 
  • Melt the butter for the topping and mix all of the topping ingredients together and put over the top of the sweet potatoes. 
  • Cover with foil and bake for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees. 
  • Remove the foil and bake another 30 minutes until everything is bubbling. 
  • Serve up next to your favorite main dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment