Tuesday, December 10, 2013

DIY Christmas Tutu

For our Christmas pictures this year, I had really wanted to make a red skirt and put a bunch of bows all over it. Well that didn't really work out, so I opted to make my own tulle skirt! I think it turned out adorable, and although tedious, it was super easy!! I got the spools of tulle from Michael's (about $3.99 for glitter tulle and $2.99 for regular), and I purchased 3/4 inch no-roll elastic. I also had purchased enough elastic to perfectly measure around Stephen's neck, so I made him a bow tie! Here is how I did it...


  1. Laid out all my supplies (tulle, elastic, thread to sew elastic, needles, measuring tape).
  2. Measured my waist and subtracted 2 inches so it would fit snug
  3. Measured how long I would want the skirt to go, I picked mid thigh. 
  4. Measure out one piece of tulle (remember to double the measurement to your knee since you will be folding the tulle in half)
  5. Cut all your pieces at once using your first piece as a guide
  6. Fold tulle in half and loop around elastic and pull through. Make sure when you create the knots, they are all on the same side. 
  7. Continue all the way around your elastic
  8. Viola!! 

Here is a tutorial I found that has pictures for the step by step process :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment