Monday, February 6, 2012

Mozzarella Meatballs

I haven't done a big grocery shopping trip in almost two weeks, so it is definitely slim pickings at our house. I have been attempting to clean out my cabinets and freezer a little. Tonight I was down to my last protein in the freezer, ground turkey and I was really not feeling very inventive. I decided to make some mozzarella filled meatballs since I had all the ingredients at hand.  They turned out to be super yummy and I just served them up with some pasta and jarred spaghetti sauce. Piece of cake!!

1 pound ground turkey
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, can be shredded or cubed
2 teaspoons Worcestershire
1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
3 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt 
1 teaspoon pepper
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk




Directions:
  • Mix all of the ingredients, except the turkey, in a bowl. Then add the turkey. You do this so that you aren't over mixing the turkey and making it tough. 
  • Grab about 1 tablespoon of turkey mix and squish it kind of flat in your hand. Add the mozzarella to the middle and then shape the turkey mix into a ball. Try to make sure all the cheese is covered by turkey. 
  • Spray some non-stick spray on a baking sheet and put into the meatballs into an oven that has been preheated to 400 degrees.
  • Bake about 15 minutes, flip or stir around the meatballs to get them brown on the other side and cook about 15 more minutes. Cooking time will differ depending on how big you made the meatballs. 
  • Put your jarred sauce into a pot to warm. When the meatballs are done, add them right into the sauce. Then stir them up, and put on your pasta!

No comments:

Post a Comment