Sunday, February 12, 2012

Chicken Enchiladas

There are SO many recipes out there for chicken enchiladas, so I am sure you have your own favorite recipe. When I started making this recipe, I was wanting something that was super simple (as always), delicious, and relatively healthy. What I love about this recipe I created (I am sure there are similar ones out there, but I came up with this one a few years ago), is that it does not have any sour cream, soups, cream cheese, etc. in it. Making it actually a lower calorie and fat recipe than many that you will find. I love this recipe and make it all the time! The recipe below makes about 12 enchiladas and you can cram them in 1- 9x13 baking dish. Sometimes the chickens will have a little more meat and I can make more, it all depends. This dish can also be frozen after it is assembled if you make sure you do a layer of plastic wrap and then a layer of aluminum foil over your dish. I had one frozen for several months before eating and when I baked it, it was awesome.

 I will warn you, making this dish can be a little messy, but if you get everything set up before you start assembling, you will be fine. The directions look a little intimidating, but its super easy, I just made sure I told you every single step to get your assembling area ready too!

1 rotisserie chicken
1 package of fresh spinach (you can also use frozen and warm in microwave first)
1 onion, sliced into half moon shapes
1 bag of Mexican cheese blend
3 cloves garlic 
1 teaspoon salt and pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder 
1 pack of flour tortillas (I have also made this w/ corn and its still awesome!)
1 large can enchilada sauce 
1 can of black olives, sliced into circles
4-5 green onions, sliced up








Directions:
  • Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
  • In a pan, saute the onions and garlic until they are slightly tender. Then add the spinach and wilt. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Set close to where you will be assembling your enchiladas.
  • Get all of the meat off of the rotisserie chicken and chop into small pieces
  • Pour about 1/2 of your enchilada sauce into a low dish, you will be dipping the tortillas in the sauce before filling them. 
  • Pour your cheese into a bowl (trust me, this makes it WAY easier)
  • Spray your baking dish with cooking spray and set close to your work station
  • Get tortillas out of the bag (you are doing all this because otherwise enchilada sauce will be covering everything you own, I have been there)
  • Now for the assembly:
    • Dip your tortilla in the enchilada sauce and make sure the tortilla is fully covered in enchilada sauce. 
    • Grab a small handful of chicken and put in a line on the tortilla, then follow with a spoon full of spinach mix and about 2 tablespoons of cheese. Roll the tortilla up and place seam down in the baking dish. 
    • Continue the above steps until you have ran out of chicken and spinach mix. 
    • When you have all of your enchiladas in the pan, put all the remaining enchilada sauce over the top and make sure you spread it evenly.
    • Sprinkle more cheese over the top and then sprinkle your green onions and black olives.
    • Cover with foil and bake for approximately 30 minutes until you see the sides starting to bubble.
    • Remove the foil and get the top browned
    • Serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment