Monday, August 27, 2012

Slow Cooker Mac n Cheese!

After looking over a million "crock pot macaroni and cheese" recipes, I decided to take a mix of all of them and try out my own! I think it worked out fabulously, and I would HIGHLY recommend this dish! Many of the recipes, with a few exceptions, had you cook the noodles before adding them to the crock pot. I wanted to save myself the time and effort of boiling water ( :) ) and I also wanted the noodles to cook in the milk and cheeses- talk about effortlessly adding extra flavor! I made this to accompany a veggie side and homemade chicken strips!

1- 12 oz box pasta (I used penne)
1 can evaporated milk (this keeps the sauce from getting curdled)
3 cups cheese (I used sharp cheddar and a mozzarella & provolone mix)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 egg (sorry for the 3 in pic below)
1/2 stick of butter, melted and then cooled to room temp
2 tablespoons sour cream
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
3 cups milk


Directions:
  • Spray the slow cooker with cooking spray
  • Put the evaporated milk, milk, eggs, sour cream, butter and spices in the slow cooker and mix together. 
  • Add the cheddar and mozz/provolone mix and then add in the macaroni and mix up.
  • Top with the Parmesan cheese and put the lid on.
  • Cook on high for 45 minutes then turn to low and cook for 1.5 hours. Try with all your might to not open the lid- I know it is hard, but it lowers the cooking temp and can add 15-30 minutes to cooking time every time you open it!
  • Serve! 


No comments:

Post a Comment