Sunday, October 6, 2013

Oatmeal Breakfast Bars

I wanted to bake today and Stephen requested I make something "healthy" (apparently my Snickerdoodle Bread last week wasn't his version of healthy :))  - something we could take easily for breakfasts. So after scouring the internet, I ended up making my own version of an oatmeal breakfast bar. It turned out pretty good. Not super sweet, great texture, and cut easily into perfect breakfast portions. They are also packed with fiber and protein and have NO added sugar. Since there is no sugar, like I mentioned they are not very sweet (which I really like), but you could add some agave to the wet ingredients to add some sweetness. I also think that next time I make these I will add some unsweetened shredded coconut too.  I will definitely be making this again!

3 cups Coaches Oats (can get this at Costco)*
1/2 cup craisins
1/2 cup chopped apricots
1 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons flax seeds
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cups pistachios, chopped
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups skim milk (can also use almond, rice, or coconut milk)
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla






Directions: 
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Mix dry ingredients together
  • Mix wet ingredients together
  • Combine both together and mix well. Pour into a 9x13 baking dish that has been lined with parchment paper. 
  • Bake for 40 minutes. The top will be browned and the bars will be set, yet still have some bounce when you touch them. 
  • let them sit at least 15 minutes before cutting (30-45 min is best)
  • Cut into bars. 
  • I think these would actually do well in the freezer too if you are able to make a bunch in advance!
* note- a quick cook steel cut oats or oatmeal would work too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment